First Since 1996
HOW TO DEAL WITH THE
LAW SOCIETY OF MANITOBA
SHOULD YOU TRUST THE
LAW SOCIETY OF MANITOBA?
Questions you should ask of both the Law Society and the lawyer before you retain any Manitoba lawyer.
BEWARE OF MANITOBA LAW SOCIETY LAWYER REFERRALS
- Ask if s/he has ever been disbarred, suspended, or disciplined by any Law Society anywhere.
- Ask if s/he has been the subject of fee reviews.
- Ask if any complaints have been made against her regardless of the outcome to the Law Society.
- Check that s/he is in good standing with The Law Society of Manitoba.
- Ask when s/he was admitted to the Bar. (This will tell you how long they have been in practice.)
- Ask if s/he specializes in the area of law you in which you require assistance.
- What specialist training or certification does s/he have?
- Ask how many similar cases s/he has handled? How many were won.
There is no checking of skills, suitability or experience. Lawyers using law societies referrals pay a fee and when it is their turn they get the referral.
Law Society referrals are based on a bored telephone clerk asking you where you want a lawyer. She then looks at her list and takes the name of the next lawyer whose turn has come up
RETAINING A LAWYER? WARNING: MANITOBA LAW SOCIETY REFERRALS ARE NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT