First Since 1996
Dealing with the
Law Society of British Columbia on CanLaw
Most British Columbia lawyers are hard working, honest and reliable.
Unfortunately, there are bad apples who make life difficult for clients and the other lawyers.
The Law Societies do not weed these bad apples out. They protect them from consumer complaints
THE LAW SOCIETY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA IS BASICALLY JUST A
UNION FOR LAWYERS THAT
Talk to a British Columbia Lawyer Now
Use CanLaw for honest, objective, free referrals.
HOW TO RETAIN A GOOD
LAWYER IN BC
Questions you should ask of both the Law Society of British Columbia and the lawyer before you retain any BC lawyer.
- Check that s/he is in good standing with The Law Society of British Columbia
- Most Law Societies will not tell you if they have complaints against a lawyer unless s/he has been "convicted" in an internal discipline hearing.
- Ask when s/he was admitted to the Bar. (This will tell you how long they have been in practice.)
- Ask if s/he specializes in the area of law you in which you require assistance.
- What specialist training or certification does s/he have?
- Ask how many similar cases s/he has handled? How many were won.
- Ask if s/he has ever been disbarred, suspended, or disciplined by any Law Society anywhere.
- Ask if s/he has been the subject of fee reviews.
- Ask if any complaints have been made against her regardless of the outcome to the Law Society.
An Annual Report of the BC Law Society stated:
"Over half of the complaint files were closed because lawyer misconduct or incompetence was not established after investigation. While these complaints may not establish lawyer misconduct, many do reflect poor service.
EXCUSES, not results
The Law Society's current regulatory model does not adequately address service quality complaints, and the Society is reflecting on possible new approaches.
Law firms could prevent clients from ever turning to the Law Society with these types of complaints by adopting practices that emphasize good client service and providing remedies to clients who are dissatisfied."