Current as of

CanLaw can help CanLaw Lawyer referral service Good lawyers working for and with you


Are You

Being Sued?

Small claims courts handle amounts up to $25,000 quickly and cheaply, so you probably will be sued


If You Don't Pay Your Debts

Here Is What Happens When You Are Being Sued

If you have debts you are not paying, your

creditors can and probably will sue you to recover the money that you owe.




When a creditor sues you

If a creditor is trying to collect $25,000 or less, the case will be probably be heard in the local Small Claims Court.

You will receive a Statement of Claim

The creditor or a process server will deliver (serve) the claim in person to you or to an adult resident of your household. Don't try and pretend you were not served or   try to avoid service If you try, the courts will order that you can be served by ordinary mail or some other method.

The Statement of Claim will tell you who is suing you, why they are suing, and for how much money they are suing you. It will also include brief instructions on how you must respond.

If you ignore the claim and do not respond, the court will order judgment against you automatically

You Will Be Compelled to Pay if Your Lose

After the court awards a judgment to a creditor, the creditor can take several steps to get the money that you owe:

Obtain a Judgment Debtor exam. You will be required to attend a court hearing with all your financial documents.

The creditor can question you on why you have not paid and make you reveal where your money is so they can issue a garnishee of your wages or bank accounts or accounts receivable and collect the money.

They can register a writ of enforcement with the Personal Property Registry which puts a claim on your property. When you sell, you will have to clear the claim by paying it

Do not ignore the claim.


Take action. If you don't take action, your creditor can get a default judgment from the court. Then you will not have the chance to negotiate or to present your side of the story.


There are three actions that you can take:


1. Negotiate a settlement.

Contact your creditor if you haven't already done

so. You may be able to negotiate a payment

plan that you can handle. If you and your

creditor agree to a plan, the creditor should

immediately inform the Civil Division of

Provincial Court in writing that the matter has

been settled.

2. Pay the claim.

You can pay the claim and related costs to the

court, or directly to the creditor or his

representative. Make sure you get a receipt. The

court will only accept payment by cash, certified

cheque or money order. You will not have to

appear before a judge if you choose this action.

3. File a defence.

The court documents you were served will tell you how many days you have to file a defence. It is around 20, but varies by province.


You can find how to file a defence, the help you need and the correct forms are listed on the  CanLaw Small Clams court pages. Click here


If you do not file a defence the court will award the creditor with a judgment against you.

4. What happens next?


Once you file a defence the court will hold a settlement conference and advise you of the date.


If a settlement is reached that ends the matter.


If no settlement is reached, the creditor must request a trial.


If you don't appear in court on the day of the trial, the creditor may still get a judgment against you in the full amount.


For more information please consult the CanLaw Guide to Small Claims Courts click here



A judgment is forever - - even after it is paid


A judgment appears on your credit record and will lower your credit rating and credit score.


Even after you pay the debt, the judgment record will remain on your credit record for several years.


Businesses may not be willing to give you credit if you have a judgment on your record.

Directory and Index for all of CanLaw

CanLaw Guide to the Law on Debt for the Layperson

Canada Trusts


On line Since 1996

Can't pay your bills? Need help?