First Since 1996
UNDERSTANDING LAWYER FEES
When you see a lawyer, ask about fees the first time you meet.
Lawyers should be able to tell you how they will calculate the fee and when they will bill you.
They usually can’t give you a firm estimate of the total cost because it depends on many things that are hard to estimate, including the time a case will take.
HOW TO KEEP COSTS DOWN
Lawyers Charge For the Time They Spend
- Be organized, so you don’t waste time. Before you first meet with the lawyer, make a list of everything you want to say and ask.
- Make a point-form summary of your case in chronological order. Include the important details and names (with addresses, phone numbers, and other helpful information).
- Some lawyers will ask you to fill in a fact sheet before your first interview.
- Ask the lawyer if a junior colleague can do some of the routine work on your case they have lower rates.
- Be reasonable. Try to agree on the minor things that aren't worth fighting about. Save your time and money for the important things.